The Croton Library Book Club
If you love reading thought-provoking, well-written literature, nonfiction, good popular fiction and even a little poetry — and you’re looking for like-minded adults to share this passion — the Croton Library Book Club is for you!
Join our welcoming group for lively and challenging discussions led by Reference Librarian Amy Melman.
This book club meets in the Creative Space (the blue room) at the Croton Free Library.
Registration: For information and to sign up, email Amy at email@example.com. Please include your full name and phone number.
First Wednesday of the month, 10:00am-noon
- Dec. 6 - The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
- Nov. 1 - The Measure by Nikki Erlick
- Oct. 4 - The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict
- Sept. 6 - Some Luck by Jane Smiley
- July 5 - The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
- June 7 - Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
- May 3 - No Talking by Andrew Clements
- April 19 - Made in China, A Prisoner, An SOS Letter, and the Hidden Cost of America's Cheap Labor by Amelia Pang
- March 8 - The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
- Feb. 1 - The Secret of Life by Howard Markel
- Jan. 9 - The Foundling by Ann Leary
- Dec. 7 - The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- Nov. 16 - The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Oct. 12 - 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
- Sept. 7 - the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon
- Aug. 3 - The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- July 6 - A Death in the Family by James Agee
- June 1 - Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
- May 4 - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- April 6 - The Last Bus to Wisdom by Ivan Doig
- March 2 - The Rose Code by Kate Quinn
- Feb. 2 - The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
- Jan. 5 - The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
- Dec. 1 - Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
- Nov. 3 - The Committed by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Oct. 6 - The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
- Sept. 1 - The Rose Code by Kate Quinn
- Aug. 4 - A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
- July 7 - John Adams by David McCullough
- June 2 - The Cat’s Table by Michael Ondaatje
- May 5 - For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
- April 7 - A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende
- March 3 - Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Feb. 3 - The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Jan. 6 - The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea
Short Story Group
For older teens & adults of all ages.
Curious about short stories, or already love them? Interested in a book club but don’t have time for a whole book? This group is for you!
Each week, we read and discuss a different short story by a contemporary writer and discuss it together. In the past, we’ve read stories by Alice Munro, Shirley Jackson, Ted Chiang, Celeste Ng, and many more.
Local author Melissa Sarno leads the group.
No registration required! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Mondays, 7:00-8:00pm. New session begins Jan. 8. No meeting on Jan. 15 or Feb. 19.
Mother-Daughter Book Club
For girls in grades 5-8 and their moms (or favorite female grown-up)!
Join us on the first Monday of each month for a lively discussion and activities related to the book we choose each month.
Free, but registration is required! You only need to register once to come to any meeting, and if you've registered for previous sessions, you do not need to sign up again.
Register here! Please email Nikki at email@example.com if you have questions.
Mondays, 7-8pm. New session begins Feb. 5 and ends June 3.
Adults & Children’s Lit Book Club
This group is no longer active, but please see below for its archived book lists.
- Chapter Book: Betsy-Tacy and Tib by Maud Hart Lovelace
- Children's Books: Leo the Late Bloomer by Robert Krauss; The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka; Night Owl by Christopher Denise; Click, Clack, Peep by Doreen Cronin and Betsy Lewis
- Chapter Book: Blubber by Judy Blume
- Children's Books: Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough; Dragons Love Tacos (Book 1) by Adam Rubin; One Hug by Katrina Moore; Be Kind by Pat Miller
- Chapter Book: The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard Series, Book 2) by Lynn Reid Banks
- Children's Books: Outside In by Deborah Underwood; A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle; Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens; Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco
- Chapter Book: Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
- Children's Books: Found by Selina Yoon; Thank You, Omu by Oge Mora; The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doenfeld; Stay Strong, Sophie by Regina Montana
- Member manuscript - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get an emailed copy
- Chapter Book: Knight's Castle by Edward Eager
- Children's Books: The Goodbye Book by Todd Parr; Not Norman by Kelly Bennett; Let the Children March by Monica Clark-Robinson; The Snowy Nap by Jan Brett
Nov. 16/Dec. 12:
- Chapter book: Bunnicula--A Rabbit Tale of Mystery by Deborah Howe
- Children's books: Meditation Station by Susan B. Katz; 52: A Tale of Loneliness (a YouTube animated story read by Patton Oswalt); Mouskin's Golden House by Edna Miller; Turkey for Thanksgiving by Jill Eve Bunting; The Best Pet of All by David La Rochelle; Shmelf the Hanukkah Elf by Greg Wolfe; Santa's Book of Names by David McPhail
- Chapter book: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Bloom
- Children's books: The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown; The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger; The Art Lesson by Tomie Paola; The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein
- Chapter book: Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
- Children's books: Something Good by Marcy Campbell; What About Worms? by Ryan Higgins; The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin; The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
May 9 & June 13:
- Chapter book: Betsy-Tacy by Maude Hart Lovelace
- Children’s books: Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes; John’s Turn by Mac Barnett; Just Help! How to Build a Better World by Sonia Sotomayor; Bear Came Along by Richard T. Morris; A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead
- Chapter book: Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Bloom
- Children’s books: Don’t Hug Doug : (he doesn’t like it) by Carrie Finison; The Wonderful Things You Will Be by Emily Winfield Martin; Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
- Chapter book: No Talking by Andrew Clements
- Children’s books: I Am a Cat by Galia Bernstein; I’m Sticking by You by Smriti Prasadam-Halls; Rachenko Eggs by Patricia Polacco
- Chapter book: Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Children’s books: No Elephants by Jerry Smath; The Mitten by Jan Brett; Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett
- Chapter book: The Museum by Susan Verde
- Children’s books: The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson; The Report Card by Andrew Clements; Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco
- Chapter book: Frindle by Andrew Clements
- Children’s books: How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen; Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson; The Chanukkah Guest by Eric A. Kimmel; Night Tree by Eve Bunting
- Chapter book: Charlotte’s Web by E.B. (Elwyn Brooks) White
- Children’s books: Are You My Mother? by Philip D. Eastman; Hello, Jimmy by Anna Walker; Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type by Dorinne Cronin
Oct. 18 (3rd Monday; closed for Columbus Day on 2nd Monday):
- Chapter book: The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh
- Children’s books: The Lion Inside by Rachel Bright and Jim Field; Only One You by Linda Kranz; The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
- Chapter book: Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
- Children’s books: Miss Nelson Is Missing by Harry Allard; Be Kind by Pat Zietlow Miller; Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett